The Global IP Alliance (“IP Alliance”) is a global consortium of IP-enabled communications services and application providers and others driving innovation and deployment of IP-enabled communications. The Global IP Alliance is committed to fulfilling the promise of IP-based communications by promoting a pragmatic and light handed public policy environment based on self governance and public-private partnerships to address social issues in the use of IP enabled communications. The Global IP Alliance members will develop a framework for global public policy that will:
- Promote interoperability, interconnection and ubiquity of IP-enabled services and applications.
- Support forward-looking processes to ensure that IP-enabled services and applications advance the social good through IP-enabled communications.
Projects and areas of focus will include:
- Emergency response
- Law Enforcement Access
- Access by persons with disabilities
- Access to critical resources that support users, such as numbering and interconnection
- Ensure that users worldwide are allowed, to the fullest extent practical and economically feasible, to control their own communications experience as users of the Internet and IP-enabled communications.
Basic options to users should include:
- Users should have access to their choice of legal content;
- Users should be able to run applications of their choice;
- Users should be permitted to attach any devices they choose to the connection in their homes;
- Users should be able to obtain Internet access on a standalone basis or in combination with those applications or service providers of the end user’s own choosing; and
- Users should know that their personal information is safeguarded, except to the extent necessary to abide by law enforcement obligations.
- The Global IP Alliance will work directly, and in cooperation with others to demonstrate to governments around the world that the IP-enabled communications industry is socially responsible and capable of self-governance.